Thursday, April 3, 2008

Yelle-- faisant français cool nouveau

For those of you who don't speak french, that's, "Yelle-- making french cool again." I know I've been slacking lately, and for that I'm sorry. As a matter of fact, to make it up to you, I've work extra hard on this post. Honest!

Actually, I haven't worked much harder on this post than I usually would. It is about Yelle though (whose name, for those of you who might be wondering, is the resulting portmanteau of "yeah" and "elle"--or so says Wikipedia), so bonus points for that? For those of you who have no clue as to what I'm going on about, Yelle is a french songstress hailing from Brittany. Recently she's been getting some air time on MTV, which is a good thing I guess, because any publicity is good publicity, right? I feel bad for her though because she's been getting a lot of flack for speaking french. Her native tongue. Go figure.

Dumb Americans aside, I most definitely recommend checking out her 2007 release, Pop-Up! The whole album is just so grand. "Je Veux Tu Voir", in particular, is so intensly up-beat it's hard not to dance, while "Les Femmes" has this dark, sultry feel about it, and still songs like "Ce Jeu" are simply light hearted and fun.

[mp3] Yelle- "Je Veux Te Voir"
[mp3] Yelle- "A Cause Des Garçons"


Like I said, her album dropped last year (although you can still grab a copy at Amazon), so there's not much to say in that respect, and I regret to say but unless you live in France you're likely going to have to miss out on seeing her live any time soon, as she's playing very few US cities this time around.

Also, check out her myspace for a fun remix of "Tristesse/Joie". Seriously, I have no words to describe it. Just go.



Au revoir, mon chouchou!

No comments: