Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hot damn, it's The Box Social!

That's right, bay-beh. I got a sweet tip this morning in regards to 'em (the girl who emailed me described them as being "one part swagger, two parts guitar, several pounds of pop sensibility and one well worn corduroy blazer (you know, the kind with elbow patches)"--how could I resist?) Since then I've been lurking around their myspace all day listening to the music and what not. Weird, right? But, in my defense I really haven't heard anyone like then in quite some time. It's cool. Take for instance the cow bell in "Hot Damn!"--I mean, seriously, who does that anymore? I love it. (and, as long as I'm ranting about this song, I think I'm gonna have to mention the bass line. You know, the one that opens second to the cow bell and runs pretty much the whole way through the song? Yeah, it's pretty much the definition of "tasty".)


I hate to say it after waxing poetic about them, but I've really only heard the songs up on their myspace at this point, so I can't talk about the album just yet. Don't fret though, I totally intend on doing a follow up review of their debut Get Going (likely, as soon as I get my hands on it!) I can't wait.

[mp3] The Box Social- Big T
[mp3] The Box Social- Hot Damn!

Both songs come straight off of the album, so download 'em, listen, and as always, if you like what you hear feel free to grab a copy of the CD. Support the artists and what not. I know you can download Get Going from myspace, as well as their Blown to Bits EP, or if you're looking for something a little more physical they've also got a link set up so that you can order one. They're by the T-Shirts.

Also, I kind of feel like I should ramble about "Big T" the way I did about "Hot Damn!", but, you know what? I just can't bring myself to do it, as the song pretty well speaks for it's self, you know? As Aversion put it, they're"the sort of act that everyone in the world should like, but only the really, really cool will." Well put, no?

Anyways, enjoy. And if you're in the Wisconsin/Michigan/Illinois area anytime soon I'd look into dropping by one of their shows, they just seem like they'd be awesome live. Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.